Monday, February 11, 2008

Scotland


Oh! Ye take the high road and I'll take the low road, 
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye; 
But me and my true love 
Will never meet again
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.


My daughters and I recently went to see the pipes and drums of the Royal Scots Dragoons and the Band of the Coldstream Guard.  It was and amazing evening of pipes and old Scots songs and men in highland kilts.  

One of the lance corporals was a magnificent vocalist and when he sang the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond, it transported me back to that magical land.  I sat and thought about how bonnie the banks of Loch Lomond truly are and could easily imagine what the writer of this rather mournful song could feel about this lovely land.

A lone piper piped Amazing Grace and it brought tears to my eyes.  Then the entire band and the pipes and drums played Robert Burns' Auld Lang Syne.  Robert Burns the poet of Scotland, 1788: 

 Should auld acquaintance be forgot, 
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o'kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.


This beautiful melody brought my thoughts to my favorite movie of all time,  "It's a Wonderful Life"  When George Bailey holding little ZuZu and Mary standing by his side sing this marvelous tune.

I believe it is time for another trip to the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great picture!! Your Sis:>)