Friday, February 15, 2008

Being Thankful

This morning I woke up grumpy and snarly.  After a bit I asked myself why am I feeling grumpy and snarly?  Then I started to think about what I have to be thankful for. There are many things that I have to be thankful for but the one that shot into my thoughts was; I am thankful that my daughters, who are in college, are safe in their beds at this moment.

The horrific news that flashed on the tv screen while I was working out yesterday afternoon, left me horrified and unsettled.  Another shooting on a college campus and this one in Illinois. I am heart sick every time that someone opens fire on a crowd of innocent people. I could not hear what was being said, so I turned on the radio as soon as I got in the car.  I still wasn't getting any information.

I had made plans to visit each of my daughters for a few minutes to give them their Valentine's Day treats.  I told Janet what had happened and she went to look it up on the internet.  The news just got worse, the gunman shot 16 people and 5 of them had died. Then he turned the gun on himself.  I am so angry.

I cannot get out of my head how the families of those victims feel when they get the call that their child is one who died, just because they were intelligent and trying to get a college education to find their place in the world.  I am so angry.

Perhaps this is why I was grumpy and snarly this morning.  There have been 3 shootings in this country involving students in the last week!  You just don't hear of this happening in Canada or Europe.  When  those children go to school you don't have to worry that someone with a gun is going to come in and start shooting.  One of the shootings was and 8th grader in Oxnard California.  How is it right that an 8th graded can procure a gun and shoot a classmate in the back of the head because they have had some disagreement?  How did the teenager in Memphis get a gun into the building to shoot a classmate that he had a disagreement with?  And why do they think that this is the way to settle arguments?


Anyway I guess that is my mood today, one of sadness, and contemplation on how to keep these things from occurring.



No comments: