Monday, March 3, 2008

Uncertainty

"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain." Pliny the Elder

I woke up this morning to the news on NPR.  I always wake up to the news on NPR and I lay there and wait for the local weather forecast.  This morning, in particular, I really didn't want to get out of bed.  I am seriously not a morning person, as I always love to linger in the comfort of my bed and get up leisurely.  However, I really love to get to work early in the morning and be in my office, which is actually a library, and sit and hear the hum of the air conditioner and the sound of my typing on the keyboard.  Yes, the air conditioner runs year round in my work space. The dreadful steam heat system we have makes the room so unbearably hot in the winter that the air conditioner must work continuously.

Well anyway, I dragged myself out of bed showered, dressed and went to feed the animals.  I was feeling rather dull as the local weather forecast for Urbana is thunderstorms later today, then turning colder and 4-6 inches of snow for tomorrow.  I was despairing over the weather, my single status, the fact I had to get out of my comfy bed, my financial status, as the NPR news was all about the economy and debt, and that is enough to make anyone despair and then I mentally slapped myself and said "Stop whining and complaining, about all that and think about all that you have to be grateful for."  Well that seemed to be sage advise, as my mood took a swing to the positive.  

My list of things that I have to be grateful for far over reaches all that I was despairing about.
And while nothing is certain in life, for now, I have a good job, co workers that I like and look forward to seeing every day, three fabulous children who light up my life, a sister and three brothers that I love and share great memories with, my Dad  who has been there for me in all times of trouble and happiness, I have a church that I love to go to and a strong faith, I and the bank own a home, I have two dogs and 3 cats to keep me company when I am alone, and a lot of friends.

So as i left for work and the rain was coming down, I transported myself to Scotland, where I never minded getting wet!  And as I was driving to work and the streetlights all went off even though it was still dark out, I marveled at the world that I live in and was thankful.

1 comment:

billie said...

I would love to read more about transporting to Scotland!

And I did not want to get out of bed today either, although at the same time I couldn't bear to stay IN it. (I'm near the end of a flu and am so tired of lying down!)

Thank you for reminding me to focus on the good things.