Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dating at my age?


"Grief can take care of itself but to get the full valute of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with." Mark Twain


Some people enjoy being alone, but I am not one of those.  I am contemplating meeting someone new, for the very first time.  It is a rather frightening thought, while at the same time  quite exciting.

When I was a teenager I liked to date. I liked to date lots of guys.  I got rather bored after just a couple of weeks.  I was young, thin, idealistic and full of hope for the future.  I am sure I gave up on some guys that I would be so willing to have in my life today.  

Being over 50 years old makes dating a very real challenge.  It is scary to put myself out there to be judged by another, who happens to be male.  Being alone for 7 years has had its ups and downs. I enjoy being alone sometimes,  but I really like to have fun and share my joy with another person. Now, I really love my game nights that I share with my girlfriends and I don't want to ever give that up, but at the same time I need to have a little maleness in my life. 

I realize that men and women are very different creatures.  We just think and act differently. I am so ready for something new.  I don't want just anyone either.  I don't want to just settle.  I want to feel passion and excitement.  I don't want to be judged on how I look, although, that is an important part of the dating process I suppose. I want a guy with gorgeous eyes and a winning smile who has nice hands. Guess guys have an idea of what they want to.  I am no longer young and thin, neither am I old and fat.  I am just me,  not exactly my ideal weight, but also more fit than I have been in years.

So I am setting my sights high and waiting for someone who will feel passion and excitement for me, won't judge me harshly, and is willing to know me for who I am.

No comments: