Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Happiness is Perfection part 2


"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint- Exupery
Happiness is being present to witness perfection. The University of Illinois Ice Arena hosted a celebration for the Fighting Illini Hockey Team last night.  The boys were all introduced and then  the ice was opened for free skate for all in attendance.  There were lots of future hockey players who were more than ready to get out there on the ice. Championship T-shirts where donned and the fun began.
My girls put on skates and joined the masses. There were people of all ages on the ice. The hockey players, sharpie in hand, were ready to sign autographs.  Now I don't skate.  Tried it once a long time ago, and I am just to clumsy.  I do enjoy watching it however.  I threw my T-shirt over the railing from my seat in the stands.  My girl, R, graciously skated around and procured autographs on my shirt!  Her delightful personality is just perfect for approaching celebrities and asking for autographs.  Now, this group of hockey players are very nice young men.  They appreciate the fans that came out to cheer them on the road to perfection. 
As she approached one group of guys asking for autographs for her mom, she pointed up in my direction, and the guys all looked up and waved with smiles on their faces.  The smile on her face is what warmed my heart.
So a truly wonderful evening and a perfect way to honor these guys who worked hard for what they earned and to say goodbye to the seniors.  This team played Lindenwood University 5 times this season, 3 in regular season and they had to play them for the CSCHL championship and the ACHA championship.  That to me is truly amazing.  How many U of I teams do you know that can beat the second best team 5 times in a row, and they were hard fought games?  So Congrats Illini Hockey Club!

No comments: