Monday, January 5, 2009

Gather the stillness around you



"In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone; Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow, In the bleak midwinter, Long ago." Christina Rossetti
 



This morning as I was backing out of the driveway to come to work, I was reminded of why I love winter.

The air was a chilly 18degree F.,  the sun was not yet up and the dark, coolness around me, filled me with exhilaration and anticipation.   The forecast is for snow, tomorrow.  One to two inches of snow!

I love driving to work in the cold, dark morning, even though I really am not a morning person.
I love being, for all intents and purposes the only person on the road.  Oh, I see a car here and there, but being alone in the dark and being able to enjoy the beauty around me without the hustle and bustle of other people on their way to work, makes me feel very thankful for everything that I have in my life.

It also made me remember this line from Christina Rosetti (1830-1894) from A Christmas Carol, a poem that I love and had to share again.




No comments: