Monday, February 9, 2009

The times we live in


It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.   Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities


When I was looking around for a quote the other day, I happened on this one from A Tale of Two Cities.  It made me want to pick up the book and read.  

I feel like I am living in the best of times and the worst of times.  Just when I feel so happy with most things in my life, my family, the entrance of Steve into my life, my job- oh wait that is one thing that i worry about. 

 Oh I love the job and am happy, but with the financial worries at the University and weekly e-mails from the Chancellor about furloughs,  with my favorite stores closing, and the news of the failed economy and the refusal of certain members of congress to realize that something new has to happen, soon, if we have any hope for fixing the situation; I put my job on the worry list. The cost of everything is up and of course I just got my statement of assessed value on my house and of course it was raised (not that anyone would pay that amount in this market) which means, of course the property taxes will raise, again.

Seriously, I try not to worry, but I am pretty much alone here with all these things to think about.

I really do feel fortunate to have 3 delightful, intelligent children, a fabulous father, a sister and niece who are willing to listen to me drown on,  the most wonderful man ever to spend time with, an abundance of fine friends, who are always there with good advice and open ears.

So I think I will go pick up my copy of A Tale of Two Cities.  I suppose things could always be worse!

No comments: