Monday, May 19, 2008

A most special day


"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Ralph Waldo Emerson
  
"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." Ralph Waldo Emerson


May 19, 1986 turned out to be one of the most special days of my life.  My beautiful daughter decided to come into the world a whole month earlier than we expected her.  Of course at that time it was not the norm to get a sono and find out the gender of your child.  So, when I felt those first signs that she was ready to be born I did not know that the baby was a girl.


The drive to the hospital took about 15 minutes.  On the way, I happened to see a Pileated Woodpecker in the woods along the edge of the highway, so I felt something very special was about to happen. By the time we arrived at the hospital, my girl was ready to be born.   The entire process took 2 hours total, from that first feeling to seeing that beautiful face.  At first I was frightened and in denial because she wasn't due for another month!   Everything happened so quickly, the fear and denial faded  and at the end of the journey I had the most beautiful little girl.  



She had a whole head full of hair that was red on the ends and really blonde at the roots.  She was absolutely gorgeous.  We became totally bonded the minute they put her in my arms.  
Today she turns 22 years old.  Last weekend she graduated from University.  Tomorrow she faces some surgery.  It has been a whirlwind week, both exciting, happy and a little bit scary.

So I am sending  her  some thoughts from my favorite author, Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I am sure that her future holds wonderful things in store.  I am looking forward to watching her shine for the next 22 years!

No comments: