Thursday, May 1, 2008

Impending Storm


"Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we are having." Ambrose Bierce


Driving to work this morning, I noticed the clouds in the sky, and how still everything was.  Not a branch was moving on any of the trees and the air seemed to be waiting, holding it's breath for something big to come.

The local weather forecast for our town today, is mild with  temperature around 75 degree F. with increasing cloudiness and rain coming our way later in the day, with wind gusts up to 30 miles per hour.  Then tonight chances of thunderstorms.   There is something rather exciting about an approaching storm.  Rather frightening too, thinking of being all alone in the house.  I enjoy a storm when I have someone else to experience it with.

The flowering trees have been so beautiful this year, I fear a lot of beautiful petals will be on the ground after tonight.  The redbud trees in my yard are not finished blooming.

Whatever happens with the weather later today, the stillness around me this morning was so calming.  

No comments: