Thursday, May 22, 2008

After the Surgery


"Eating everything you want to is not that much fun. When you live a life with no boundaries, there's less joy. I f you can eat anything you want to, what's the fun of eating anything you want to?" Tom Hanks


Well, the surgery was on Tuesday and today is Thursday. So far everything is going well. I have been vacationing at my girls apartment.

It was a 3.5 hour surgery that began at 7:27am. We arrived at the hospital at 5:45am. After they took her to surgery I didn't get to see her again until 2:00pm. The recovery time was from around 11:00am until just before 2:00pm. That was the scariest part for me, waiting, just waiting. There was nurse who kept me updated and Dr. Sabol came out after the surgery to assure me that all went well. It was just the long wait unitl I could see her again that was agonizing,

Then when I did get to see her she was still very medicated and not quite awake all the way. She looked so exhausted and frankly speaking just plain bloody! She woke up gradually while I sat with her and seeing her fully awake allayed all my fears.

She had to visit the Dr.'s office for an xray before we could bring her home, well I mean to her apartment. She preferred to sleep in her nice double bed as opposed to come to our home to sleep in the small twin size bed. Besides, all her things are at her apartment. So, I am vacationing at her place for a while.

The poor dear girl must be on a liquid diet for 6 weeks. Right now that doesn't feel so bad as she can't get her mouth open anyway due to the swelling. She told me she now feels like the Godfather! The doctor said the swelling would reach it's maximum point on Thursday and he was right! I can't imagine the swelling to be much more. I am joining my girl on the liquid diet for the next two weeks, and maybe more depending on how strong I feel. When it comes to food, I am week. So far it isn't too bad. I am finding out that you can puree almost everything. I made her favorite carrot coriander soup last night and tonight it will be homemade veggie soup (my recipe) only this time it will be pureed and creamed! I began the process by promptly burning the carrots and potatoes! Her stove works really quickly! So I will begin again afresh and have some delicious soup for supper.

The best part will be the chocolate milk shake at the end of the evening!

I am certainly glad the surgery part is over and we are on the road to healing!

No comments: