Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Soldiers


War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good.  We will not learn to live together in peace by killing each other's children.  Jimmy Carter 


Driving to work I often see the soldiers from the ROTC on their morning run. They are dressed in sweats, usually. Today was a different sight. Today they were dressed in combat fatigues with their packs on their backs and helmets on their heads.  It made me feel really sad. It is getting almost too much to bear to think of our young men and women going off to fight in a war that our country should not even be involved in.  I heard on the news of another soldier killed in Iraq.  The count is so high now, and seeing these brave souls preparing to do battle, just deflated me.

Jimmy Carter is one of my favorite people in the world.  War is never good, sometimes necessary, but always evil.  It is my belief that the war in Iraq was never necessary. 
I hope that the new administration begins the withdrawl from Iraq and ends the involvement in this evil. I dream of peace in the world.  It is our only hope for the future.

No comments: