Friday, April 4, 2008

Recession?

"It"s a recession when  your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours." Harry S. Truman


I don't watch the news regularly any more.  I check periodically and catch stories on Digg.com. I listen to NPR in the morning as I get dressed for work.  Frankly, the news is just to depressing and full of negative energy.  I hear the denial that the US is in a recession, the dollar is the lowest it has ever been and the politics of the day leave me cold.

Every day in the inner recess of my mind I have worries of "what if";  what if my job suddenly is no longer there, what if I can't come up with the money for my property taxes, which go up ever year, what if the car breaks down and I don't have the money to fix it,what if the price of natural gas gets higher and I can't pay the energy bill, what if I never find a soul mate ( yes even though mine left, I still feel like it is possible to have a soul mate).

I once read a marvelous biography of Harry S. Truman by David McCollugh and I  was very impressed with him as a man. One of his most famous sayings is " The buck stops here."  I like someone who is willing to be accountable for his actions and takes the steps to achieve goals.

I will be happy when the democratic party gets its act together and backs the proper candidate. In my mind, they blew it when they didn't support John Edwards.  However, I will be happy to see it end, happy to see the end of the Bush administration, and happy to think of a better life where people have jobs,  big corporations are limited and the oil and gas industry could pass on a little of the gazillion dollars in profit they make to the American people in the form of affordable fuel.

For today, I am happy that it is Friday. I am excited for the premier of the final season of Battlestar Galactica.  I am happy I get to spend some time with my daughters this evening, eating popcorn, and watching the show together!

No comments: