Friday, April 3, 2009

A Book for the Weeks End


"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill.
Henry David Thoreau

Hooray for Friday!  I am so glad that the weeks end has arrived.  It has been a lovely week, I am very happy.  I have had a productive week of work,  but oh how I am looking forward to Saturday.   Sleeping in, then getting up for a trip to the gym, back home for a day of sipping coffee surrounded by my delightful animals, curled up with a good book!  I just want to relax. This Saturday there is nowhere I have to be and nothing I have to get done. Relaxation, here I come!

 Let me tell you I have stacks of books to read.  I have been choosing a book, from my large stack, to read while I workout on the elliptical jogger, books that I have been putting off, oh they are in my stack, but I haven’t had the desire to pick them up.  But, hey when you are stuck on the jogger, what better time to pick up those books. I have finished two from the stack. I got around to reading The Poisonwood Bible, a book I thought I would enjoy, but I didn’t. I was compelled to finish it, just to see where it would take the characters, but I truly didn’t enjoy the book.  My next jogger adventure was Katerskill Falls which I did enjoy reading.  I am on to a stack of Tony Hillerman mysteries that I picked up from a table of give away books at work.  I like fluff and I like classics, I just love to read.  I highly recommend it for a day to relax ( oh and for those boring times on the elliptical!)

 So here are a few delightful quotations from some of my favorite authors: 

"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library." Jane Austen from Pride and Prejudice (one of my favorite authors and favorite books)

"In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once know its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity."  Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When I read a good book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me." W. Somerset Maughm from Of Human Bondage

"Knowing I lov'd my books he furnish'd me

from mine own library with volumes that

I prize above my dukedom.

William Shakespeare from The Tempest Act 1 Scene 2 ( I may pick this one from my shelf to read this weekend)






No comments: