Thursday, September 18, 2008

Birth and Death


"Be open to your dreams, people. Embrace that distant shore. Because our mortal journey is over all too soon."  David Assael Northern Exposure 1992

Today is my mother's birth day.  Today she would have been 79 years old. Sadly, for me she left this world 31 years ago. 

My mother taught me to love birthdays.  She had a knack for making you feel special on your birthday.  My mother was happy and optimistic.  She was a fabulous mom.   Did she ever make parenting mistakes, like the rest of us?  Yes I am sure she did,  I just can't remember any of those. 

What I remember about my mom is she was always there for me.  She was happy and smiling. She loved her children more than life. One of her last worries when she was in the hospital, the last time I saw her, was about my brothers and if they had their coats on so they wouldn't be cold. She was not fully conscious at that point, but her children were on her mind.

So I salute my mom today  and I thank God that she was my mother.  She taught me how to dream and how to enjoy life.

1 comment:

The Every Day Dad said...

You are your mother's daughter, my friend.