Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Gaily bedight
A gallant knight
In sunshine and in shadow
Had journeyed long
Singing a song
In search of Eldorado

But he grew old-
This knight so bold-
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado

And, as his strength
Failed him at length
He met a pilgrim shadow-
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be-
This land of Eldorado?"

Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied-
If you see for Eldorado

Edgar Allan Poe


There you have it, an american genius, Edgar Allan Poe. It is a great poem; he was an interesting man.

Had to get the poem out and read it today after wrapping up in a blanket and watching El Dorado. I love John Wayne. I love his movies, most of them anyway, some I like better than others. El Dorado is one of my favorites. Not only do I get to watch The Duke, the movie stars Robert Mitchum and James Caan (whose character, Mississippi, recites the poem throughout the film, so excellently.

It is funny however that I always think the line is "Ride boly Ride" instead of boldly. I don't know if that is because I have always missed the actual word, or if they wrote it that way for the movie. It is absolutey marvelous in any case.

Now I want to watch more John Wayne and get out the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe.

No comments: