Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Whale Tales


. . . these are the times of dreamy quietude, when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean's skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

"There she blows!--there she blows! A hump like a snow-hill! It is Moby Dick!"

from Moby Dick by Herman Mellville

The Atlantic Ocean is truly magnificent. I spent some time just being with the ocean on my visit to Cape Cod.

It is no secret to those who know me well, my love of whales. I finally got to board a sea going vessel and head out to Stellwagen National Marine Sanctuary and view these magnificent mammals in the wild. The feel of the wind on may face as we glided through the ocean to our final viewing spot, was exhilarating and awesome!

While I find whaling to be a heinous occupation, and I understand it still happens in certain countries, I am curious and fascinated by the history of the whaling industry.

I have never read Moby Dick in its entirety, but I love Mellville and I am adding this title to my ever growing list of books to read.

I think I need another trip to Cape Cod to sit on the beach, listen to the sound of the surf, and read.

No comments: