Monday, November 23, 2009

We Gather Together


We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to His name: He forgets not his own.

Over the River and
Through the Woods


Over the river and thru the wood,
To grandfather's house we go;
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh,
Thru the white and drifted snow, oh!
Over the river and thru the wood,
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes,
And bites the nose,
As over the ground we go.

Over the river and thru the wood,
To have a first-rate play;
Oh, hear the bell ring,
"Ting-a-ling-ling!"
Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day-ay!
Over the river and thru the wood,
Trot fast my dapple gray!
Spring over the ground,
Like a hunting hound!
For this is Thanksgiving Day.

Thinking a lot about music for Thanksgiving. I have already hit the playlist for The Night Heron Consort A Celtic Celebbration (Christmas Favorites) Vol. 2, while I work on databases at work, and jumped into the season with both feet. I have numerous playlists for Christmas, but I only have one playlist for Thanksgiving. Which includes the song We Gather Together, but sadly not Over the River and Through the Woods.
I love Thanksgiving. I really love the day. I love waking up with the anticipation of the smell of Turkey roasting in the oven. I love the smell of home made bread as it bakes. I love the smell of cinnamon and cloves in the pumpkin pie.
Now I am not traveling over the river and through the woods, while I will miss all my family, I love being at home, with my girls, cooking and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Now the parade has changed somewhat since I was a little girl, but I still love it. I love handing over the loaves of stale bread to the girls and having them begin the process of fixing my mom's famous dressing, by pinching the bread as they watch the parade.
We are having a guest from across the Atlantic, a friend of Janet's from England. We plan on giving her a taste of a traditional American Thankksgiving Day.
The best thing about Thanksgiving traditions is that all families have their own traditions, and I think no one family has the exact same traditions. I believe the unifying factor is the Turkey (or in our case the Turkey and the Vegetarian meatless roll that tastes like turkey). Most families include this delicious fowl in their Thanksgiving tradition.
So what are you traditions?
What ever they are I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I will be giving thanks for all the blessings in my life.





No comments: