Monday, June 16, 2008

Tree Surprise

"As the poet said 'Only God can make a tree'...probably because it is so hard to figure out how to get the bark on."  Woody Allen  


Yesterday the winds began to blow.  A storm was blowing in. It was a very short storm, a little wind, a little rain, maybe one bolt of lightning.  I was checking on the Cardinal baseball game after watching the Eurocup soccer match between Czech Republic and Turkey.  USA was then playing Barbados in a World Cup qualifying match.  While checking on the score for the Cardinal game the reports were telling about an injury to Molina,  my favorite catcher!  Then my girl J yells from the bedroom,  "Mom you better come here"  Well I wanted to hear the report of the injury,  then she yells again.  So I said I  will be right there,  she came to the family room and said "You really need to come now"


Well she said that while she was showering she heard and felt a thump.  I had heard the thump but thought it was thunder.  She says,"Look out my window"  There in full view were tree limbs! Now there is not a tree directly in front of her window,  further out in the yard yes, but that close, not normally a tree!

The neighbors tree had split in two and half had fallen on the corner of my house!   I went out in the rain to survey the damage.  Then I knocked on the neighbors door to tell them that the tree split and fell on my house.  

Now the house next door is a duplex.  The neighbor on the one side is the sister of the property owner.  The tree was in the other persons yard.  The tree was rotten.  She says to me "That tree has been getting worse each year".   One wonders why if you know a tree is rotten, and being a property owner,  you would leave it to get worse and worse, until it falls on your neighbor's house?


Well the property owner was out of town, but his property manager came to survey the damage. He called the tree service man,  who came and actually took the part of the tree that was on my roof  down. Now it was a Sunday at 6:30pm.  I thought that was a pretty good deal.  
There is some damage to the shingles on the roof and some damage to the gutter.  

Now the long process of calling insurance. I am not sure how this all works.  I can't imagine that I have to use my homeowners insurance to cover the repairs,  but I am calling him none the less. Maybe he haggles it out with the other person's insurance company.  This is truly a first for me!

So you never know what you are going to get on a windy day, with a tiny little storm!  It made me think of how awful if must be for all the tornado and flood victims who loose everything.  It is a strange feeling to see a tree on your house.  I hope I never have to deal with what the tornado and flood victims deal with.

I thanked God that only a little damage occurred.

No comments: