Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Adjustments


"How can you come to know yourself? Never by thinking, always by doing. Try to do your duty, and you'll know right away what you amount to."  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


So here I am searching Goethe for some inspiration.  I have been alone in the house, with the two dogs (one of whom has been ill and has been in need of nurturing and nursing) and the lone cat for a whole week now!

Regena left for Scotland and has been touring with her sister. She leaves such an empty spot when she goes.  Regena is so full of life and so much fun to be around that when she is gone for an extended period of time, I really notice her absence.

It takes a period of adjustment to be alone again.  I have been busy trying to make my flower garden look like the one in the picture above.  Right now it looks like a few lone flowers and a lot of dirt, but hopefully it will get there.  I have some seeds that are definitely sprouting.  The vegetable garden is taking off and I am so happy to see the plants growing.

Steve and I went to the movies, I did some grilling and we spent a lovely morning in the park, sharing breakfast with his church friends.  So I have not been totally alone, and I am filling in some time at the gym and reading.

So, do I know myself?  Well I certainly try to always do my duty,  so I can say, yes, I know me fairly well. I know that I don't like to be alone all the time,  I like to be with the people I love. I do like some alone time, I like the way the garden looks, even though it is a lot of work and I love my dogs,  even when they are old and need extra care.  It is so nice to se Mickey bouncing around again and the ear infections healing.

Just as I make the adjustment for being alone, Regena and Janet will be home! I am looking forward to June 3.


No comments: