Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fashion


"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain


Yesterday at lunch, the talk turned to fashion.  Much discussion on what people wear, some ideas about clothes we have seen on co-workers and much laughter at choices that some people make.  There are even television shows that tell us what not to wear, or how stupid we will look if we were this or that.

It has always been my opinion that people should express their own sense of "fashion" in any way they choose.  Most of us want to look nice and up to date. It is just that each of us see ourselves differently that most other people see us.  Let's face it not all of us have bodies to be able to wear the current trend in the fashion world.  In fact, some of us would look entirely stupid if we tried to wear some of those trendy clothes.


So when the talk turns to laughing at the choices some people make, I get somewhat uncomfortable.  I am sure that I wear things, that I like, that may make people laugh at me.  I don't care, let them laugh, I am comfortable with myself.  Guess I am not much into fashion and more into being comfortable with oneself.   I feel the same way about hair and makeup.  I may not think a persons hairstyle is becoming on them, but it is their choice,  not mine.   I am a live and let live kind of person.  Also, returning to my Four Agreements,  such discourse about other peoples clothing and hair, certainly is not being impeccable with your word (first agreement).   I am always ashamed of myself when I let my self be swept up into these conversations.  But, I am still always trying to to my best(fourth agreement). 

Which brings me to today little bit of wisdom from "I've Learned":  "I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to the best that others can do, but to the best you can do.  Age 68.

I'd like to think it won't take me that many years to figure that one out for myself!

No comments: